What should my child do to remain safe on line?
- Sit down with your child and go through the privacy settings for the App or Website they wish to use. Prior to this, do some research such as Googling “Privacy Concerns with Instagram”.
- This will help you discover information such as
Instagram reveals the location (Geo Tag) of every photo taken by all
Instagram users. So any photograph taken at home can reveal the user’s address.
Who Should your child friend online?
- Remind your child only to be friends with children that they would be friendly with offline.
- Go through your child’s account with them and filter friends to be only those with whom they spend time offline. Have a ‘delete day’. Inform your child that you expect them to do this also.
- Inform your child that it is okay not to accept friendship requests from people they do not know. Tell them you expect them to do this and that you will be monitoring to ensure that that is what happens.